Natural Fertility Support
At Arc Integrated Medicine, our approach will begin with a thorough initial appointment, where we will discuss your complete medical history with a special focus on your menstrual history, signs of hormone imbalances and any diagnoses or labs that have been run thus far. If you have not been doing so already, we will suggest that you begin charting your cycles using your basal body temperature, and potentially recommend the use of ovulation predictor kits (OPK’s).
If you have not had any lab testing done, we will begin with basics such as:
- Testing for Ovarian Reserve
- Day 3 FSH, LH & Estradiol, possibly AMH if indicated
- Assessment for Ovulation Disorders
- Day 21 Progesterone, Estradiol
- PCOS being the most common, we may screen for Testosterone levels and blood sugar regulation
- Prolactin levels and Thyroid hormones can also contribute to anovulation
- Basic Nutrient Levels
- We may test things like Iron, B12 and vitamin D if we suspect deficiencies could be impacting your ability to conceive
- Semen Analysis
- We will always spend time discussing the male infertility factor, even if we only see the woman as a patient, but we do strongly encourage the male partner to book an appointment as well.
You may arrive at our clinic having had all the above tests run, and being told they were all normal. This is a great head start in treatment, but we ask that you bring all labs, and an open mind, with you for reassessment by your Naturopathic Doctor. We analyze lab values with a critical eye, and it may help determine if further advanced testing is required.
If you are further along in your fertility journey, maybe you have had failed attempts at IUI or IVF, difficulty with egg quality, implantation or multiple miscarriages, we may suggest more advanced testing such as:
After the initial assessments and testing have been done, we will begin with a comprehensive program which will include recommendations for diet & lifestyle, acupuncture as well as vitamins, minerals & herbal medicine directed towards your specific imbalances.
Causes of Infertility that we can treat effectively with Natural Medicine:
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome & other Ovulation Disorders
- PCOS responds very well to diet changes, natural blood sugar regulation and ovarian stimulation with herbal medicine.
- Egg Quality & Advanced Maternal Age
- Egg quality does decline with age, but this is not a rule and it is a myth to believe that nothing can be done about it. Mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress play a huge role in declining egg quality, and these things can be slowed and improved with natural supplements.
- Luteal Phase Defects
- Autoimmune Infertility
- Hypothyroidism & Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis
- Male Factor Infertility
- Unexplained Infertility
Assisted Reproductive Technologies – IUI & IVF
If you choose to use procedures like IUI or IVF, the role of naturopathic medicine changes slightly to target supportive treatments that will not interact poorly with the medication you will be taking. Naturopathic doctors are still an integral part of the team in these cases as there is plenty of research to support the use of supplements and acupuncture to improve egg quality and increase implantation rates, as well as support your mental health and decrease stress levels during times that are sure to be emotionally intensive.
Natural support for female and male fertility
Call us for a free 15 minute consultation to learn more